Skip to Content

What are my options if I need to move with my children?


Many residents of Killeen and Fort Hood, even those not affiliated with the military, find themselves needing to make a move to another state. Of course, with Texas being so large, even certain moves in state can have the same effect as moving to another state.

Parental relocation issues are difficult for Texans who are trying to raise kids on their own or who are, for that matter, trying to maintain a relationship with their children even though their relationship with the child’s other parent did not work out.

In Texas, it is possible for a person to have in his or her order for conservatorship a rule restricting how far he or she can move, even though the person otherwise has the right to decide where the child lives. For example, the order might restrain the parent from moving out of state or more than 100 miles for where they live currently. Judges have some flexibility in this respect.

If a parent is subject to such an order, then he or she must file a request to change the order before he or she can legally move beyond the boundaries set in the order. A move that violates a standing conservatorship order can spell serious negative legal consequences for a parent, even if the move was for a good reason.

Should the other parent not agree with the move, then the court will have to decide whether or not the parent should be allowed to change the arrangement. Ultimately, the court will have to decide whether the change is in the best interest of the children involved.

Moving when one is subject to a conservatorship order can be tricky, which is why many parents rely on the experience and knowledge of a family law attorney.